TO APPLY FOR AN FUNERAL SERVICE APPRENTICE LICENSE, CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION WITH THE REQUIRED INFORMATION:
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent,
- be 18 years of age or older (birth certificate required to be submitted with the application).
- Submit a photograph with the application.
- Once the application is received and processed, the individual will be notified as to their start date of the apprentice program, which consists of completing a one-year course of apprenticeship under the direct supervision of a licensed embalmer and funeral director. The Apprentice shall take an active part in the operation of embalming not less than thirty-five dead human bodies and an active part in conducting not less than thirty-five funeral services.
THE APPLICANT MAY OBTAIN THE REQUIRED ASSOCIATE DEGREE TO BECOME A LICENSED FUNERAL SERVICE LICENSEE BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE APPRENTICESHIP.
THEY MAY ALSO ATTEND MORTUARY SCHOOL BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE APPRENTICESHIP.
REQUIREMENTS FOR A FUNERAL SERVICE LICENSE
1. COMPLETE THE APPRENTICESHIP
2. OBTAIN AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE OR SIXTY (60) CREDIT HOURS (90 QUARTER HOURS) FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY
3. OBTAIN A DEGREE FROM AN APPROVED SCHOOL OF MORTUARY SCIENCE
4. TAKE AND PASS THE NATIONAL FUNERAL SERVICE EXAMINATION GIVEN BY THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF FUNERAL SERVICE EXAMINING BOARDS WITH A SCORE OF 75% OR GREATER
5. TAKE AND PASS THE WEST VIRGINIA LAWS, RULES AND REGUATIONS EXAMINATION WITH A SCORE OF 75% OR GREATER.
TO APPLY FOR AN FUNERAL DIRECTOR APPRENTICE LICENSE, CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION WITH THE REQUIRED INFORMATION:
1. Complete a two (2) year apprenticeship under the general supervision of an active licensed funeral director or funeral service licensee.
2. Conduct not less than 35 disposition arrangements
3. Conduct not less that 35 funeral and/ or memorial services
4. After the two (2) year apprenticeship, take and pass the WV Laws, Rules and Regulations examination with an average score of not less than 75%.
Before applying for a Funeral Director license, have an official transcript submitted indicating completion of a Bachelor's degree from an accrediated college or university. Once these requirements are finished, the individual is qualified to apply for a Funeral Director license.
An individual seeking a reciprocity funeral director license must submit the following to the office along with the application:
1. Have an official transcript submitted indicating completion of a Bachelor's degree from an accrediated college or university
2. Submit verification of good standing of licensure from all states you are licensed
3. Submit verification of apprenticeship
4. An applicant seeking a funeral director reciprocity license must have held an active license or its equivalent to practice funeral directing in another state for at least the last 2 years or this can consist of a one (1) year apprenticeship and active license for one (1) year.