TO APPLY FOR A FUNERAL SERVICE LICENSE, CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Serve a one (1) year apprenticeship under the direction of a licensed funeral director. During the apprenticeship, you must assist under direct supevision in the embalming or thirty five (35) bodies and conduct not less than thirty five (35) funeral services
- Have an associate degree from an accredited college or university or have successfully completed not less than sixty semester hours or ninety quarter hours of academic work in an accredited college or university toward a baccalaureate degree with a declared major field; or have a bachelor’s degree in mortuary science from an accredited college or university as evidenced by a transcript submitted for evaluation. NOTE: This is a separate requirement from degrees obtained at mortuary school. THIS IS REQUIRED BEFORE YOU CAN OBTAIN A FUNERAL SERVICE LICENSE. YOU CAN OBTAIN THIS DEGREE / HOURS PRIOR TO, DURING OR AFTER THE APPRENTICESHIP.
- Have received a diploma of graduation from a school of mortuary science which requires as a prerequisite to graduation the completion of a course of study not less than twelve months' duration, and which said school of mortuary science must be one accredited by the American board of funeral service education, inc., and duly approved by the board
- Passes with an average score of not less than seventy-five percent the national conference of funeral services examination at a testing site provided by the national conference, passes with a score of not less than seventy-five percent the state law examination administered by the board and passes such further examination as the board may deem necessary to ascertain qualification and ability to engage in the practice of embalming. Successfully passing the national conference of funeral services examination is a condition precedent to taking the state law examination administered by the board.
Reciprocal licenses may be issued to a person licensed in another state when such license was granted after completion of educational requirements substantially equivalent to those required in this state and which was granted after passing, in that state, an examination that is substantially equivalent to the examination required in this state.
Please contact the Board for application forms.