A crematory operator is an individual employed by a crematory to operate crematory equipment, including the crematory unit and mechanical processor.
You must obtain a crematory operator certificate prior to operating such equipment.
Qualifications: Applicants prior to July 1, 2003
- A person acting as a crematory operator prior to July 1, 2003, must apply for registration as a crematory operator on or before July 30, 2003.
- The applicant must attend a seminar sponsored and presented by the Board on state crematory regulation, prior to registering. The Board may charge a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) to each participant.
- The applicant must submit verification of employment as a crematory operator within twenty-one (21) days of the date of application.
- If the applicant fails to complete steps 1-3 above, the Board will deny the application. If the applicant applies at a later date, he or she must apply under the requirements of Applicants after July 1, 2003.
- The applicant who applies after July 30, 2003, shall be considered a new applicant and must apply under the requirements of Applicants after July 1, 2003.
Applicants after July 1, 2003
All Crematory Operator applicants after July 1, 2003 are required to take an eight (8) hour course on crematory operation. This course must include training on:
- terminology used by the crematory industry;
- principles of combustion;
- environmental and air quality issues;
- basic procedures for operating cremation equipment;
- handling bodies and packaging cremated remains; and
- exposure control.
Providers of such courses must be approved in order for the applicant to receive credit toward the course requirement.
If you are interested in providing such a course for West Virginia Crematory Operator applicants, Certified Cremation Education Provider Application listed in the table below.
If you are a Crematory Operator applicant*, download the Approved Certified Cremation Education Provider list in the table below.
*Crematory operator applicants must also take the Board's legal seminar. More information will be provided when you submit your application.
To obtain the documents listed below, click the pdf icon to the left of the desired document.
|Certified Cremation Education Provider Application
|Approved Certified Cremation Education Providers
|Most forms on our site are in pdf format. In order to download these documents you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is free. To download the reader, follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.
To view the fees schedule, click the link below.